Friday, May 29, 2009

Sitting on my hands.

This is one of my periodic pep-talks to myself, so those of you who expect actual content are excused. As I think I've mentioned, I wrote a hard-copy business journal to myself for years -- for more than a decade -- before I started this blog. It was full of such pep-talks, attempts to buck myself up and get disciplined.

Usually didn't work. First little temptation that came along, and I fell of the wagon.

But that's really being a bit unfair to myself. More accurately, I wasn't able to follow through because circumstances would change radically in the middle of the plan.

In the first half of last year, I managed to be disciplined enough to pay off my credit cards. I managed to stay even through the rest of the year, despite the deteriorating economy. It was perhaps the first time I was able to formulate a plan, stick to it, and make it work for an extended period. A great confidence booster.

The first half of this year, I've managed to stay in the black, and even make a bit of money. I've kept away from debt, and completely stocked the store from top to bottom.

It's as if I'm a major league sports franchise that finally has all the right players in place, and the season is about to begin. Now, I just need to let them play.

Doing nothing is harder than doing something. So this pep talk is really about staying focused, and yet not really making any major moves. Staying involved, but without messing with things.

Last year I succeeded, but fear is a bigger motivator for me than greed.

If I can manage to stick to budget, and sales are what I believe they will be, I might be able to make this store really solid for the first time. The budget is more than generous, and my projections are very conservative.

By solid, I mean, completely operational in cash-flow, completely stocked, debt-free, taxes paid, and an amount of cash left over to actually motivate me to keep going.

So wish me luck sitting on my hands.

***Later: To Continue...

I can almost guarantee that sometime this summer a 'great' opportunity will arise, a real deal, a future money maker. If not this summer, then certainly this fall. And if not this fall, for sure by Christmas.

And the rationalizing will begin. It will be a wonder to behold. Hell, I'll convince you guys it's a good idea, as well as myself.

This is advance warning to myself.

No.

Just say no.

Make money for once in your frikken' life....

No comments: