Friday, May 1, 2009

May Day.

I was going to write a long blog about May Day (International Workers Day) filled with Communist jargon, "Welcome, Comrades!" and concluding with: "Workers of the world unite!" behind Obama.

But then I realized there are plenty of sites that actually believe exactly that.

Oh, well.

**********

The Bulletin has decided that Cessna left because the airport didn't build the tower. I suspect they would have left, with or without.

More Infrastructure! Hmmmm. Wasn't the the whole point of Juniper Ridge? Now they're telling us that, even if we had built J.R. we wouldn't have had the "road, sewer, and water..." infrastructure? Kind of putting the cart before the horse.

Actually, that had already come to bite us, with the intersection at Cooley Rd.

We need to grab us some of that there stimulus money!

**********

Someone wrote a guest editorial in the Bulletin that was even more downbeat than I am. I agree with his next two stages of crisis: credit card and commercial real estate. But the next three are too speculative even for me.

It's funny, though, that when I did my original guesstimates about what I thought would happen, I knew from experience that it would be bad. In every bubble I've seen, it burst deeper and longer than you can believe.

But as we got closer and closer to the actual event, I couldn't quite go there.

It was too dire to contemplate.

Now, as events have played out, I've resurrected my original estimates, and I've resumed planning based on them.

**********

I kind of fell off the budgeting wagon in April. I got caught by the fact that business was much better than I expected. I bought at the peak, -- again! -- and then sales fell off the last week of the month -- again! My wife is right; I really am Wily Coyote.

No harm if I budget strictly for May and June.

I forgot that I budget not for bad months-- because discipline then is self-reinforcing.

No, it's important I stick to budget during good months, because that's when I can get carried away.

Buying too much product is my Achilles Heel.

It's probably the least harmful of ways to overspend. After all, I still have the product to sell. Or maybe that's just Wily Coyote thinking. (This Acme Kit will work!)

But it traps all my profit in inventory.

So it's back to the drawing board. I made it through the first three months of the year without relapsing; now I just need to get back on track for the rest of the year.

Meanwhile, the store is stocked, stocked, stocked! Come one, come all!

5 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"The Bulletin has decided that Cessna left because the airport didn't build the tower."

Are they friggin' INSANE???

Cessna needed to retrench, to lay off workers and close facilities. Their home base is in Wichita, Kansas. They've been there since the 1920s. They've only had the operation in Bend for three or four years, if memory serves. Only the seriously delusional would believe that if we had built a tower in Bend they would have kept the Bend plant open and closed Wichita.

There seems to be something about Bend that destroys some people's ability to think rationally. Maybe it's the water ... or the Kool-Aid in it.

Duncan McGeary said...

To be fair to Janet Stevens, she did say, "...while it may be that the closure was inevitable..." "...it's impossible to know whether a commitment to that tower might have saved the 200 or so jobs..."

Quimby said...

The only sane thing they could have done is move the operation to Redmond. A tower at Bend is a waste of money when there is a great towered airport 10 (yes, only 10) miles to the north.

"But it's REDMOND. (holding nose)" says the Bend snobbery.This was a smart business move on Cessna's part and a cold dose of reality for those that think that the Bend is a great place for a manufacturing facility.

H. Bruce Miller said...

""...it's impossible to know whether a commitment to that tower might have saved the 200 or so jobs..."

No, it isn't impossible to know. The tower wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference.

Linda McGeary said...

May day! May day! I think I just saw the Roadrunner go by.
If your quick, maybe you can catch him.
*Smile*