Thursday, June 5, 2008

Used Bookstores

We visited a bunch of used bookstores on our trip to the coast. At first, I was feeling kinda judgmental about them. Many of them are messy, cookie cutter, unfriendly, badly organized.

After a few more visits, I figured what the heck, each store is different, each store reflects the owner's personalities and desires.

Than a few few more visits, and I thought: the hell with that. These stores are really run badly.

Bookstores are not healthy. They aren't prospering. At least most of the ones we saw on our trip.

But I'm not surprised. Because -- in my oh, so humble opinion -- they're doing it wrong!

They're just doomed.

You can see their desperation, their total cluelessness. They are bound and determined to do it the same way they were taught (an extraordinary number of them worked for other bookstores first), the way it has always been done. Never mind that it doesn't work anymore.

They get a mule-headed look in their face when you suggest that if it isn't working, they might want to try something else.

I felt like saying, "Try something, anything! Even if it's wrong!"

I can say this, because I know none of these people will be reading this. Every store I went into, I would say, "I've had a store in downtown Bend for 28 years." Not one. None of them, even the few friendly ones, asked the name of my store.

Which is a symptom of what's wrong. They aren't curious.

I tell you, anyone who walks in my store and tells me they own a store will get a friendly, "Cool! Where at? What do you sell? How's it going?" And hopefully, even more information will be exchanged. "Hey, what's really selling for you? You discovered any new tricks or techniques."

This was the typical bookstore visit. "Hi, I'm visiting from Bend. I've had a store in downtown Bend for 28 years...."

"Huh." Put his or her face back into a book. (Sign of something wrong there -- they should be working, not reading!!!!!! Talking to customers is part of the frikken job!)

I was so not impressed. I'm not saying my bookstore is the best thing since sliced bread, but we're trying. Not everyone is enamored (Timothy) with the way we're doing it -- but I can tell you that it's working. And it's working because we aren't doing it like these guys in the valley and coast are doing it.

Our trade policy is different, our organization is different, the books we highlight are different, how we handle the books is different, our pricing is different, our cleanliness and spaciousness is different, our friendliness (well, Linda's friendliness) is different, and on and on.

I think none of these guys are reflecting what is actually selling in new bookstores. None of them have figured out that new fiction sells really, really well. That tradepaperbacks are the future, that hardcovers aren't orphans, that books are more or less a commodity, not a rarity. That variety is the spice of life. That you shouldn't impose your biases on what you carry, but your store should carry in proportion what is actually in demand.

Don't decide, for instance, that you don't like science-fiction, and are going to only have 2 shelves worth, but you love knitting, and you'll have two bookshelves. If you get enough material traded in for 3 shelves of science fiction, and one shelf of knitting, then that is the level of interest that is out there!

Try something new, is what I'm saying. Don't just sit there and gather dust and mildew and mold, and grungy covers. Get off your butt and straighten the damn books!

There seemed to be two spheres of influence that I noticed. Within a hundred miles of Powells, everyone does it the Powells way. I still think putting used books with new books makes all books look used. But even more importantly, none of these stores are Powells; they don't do the volume, they don't have the selection, they don't have the systems in place. It works for Powells, obviously, but I can tell you it ain't working for these small used bookstores.

The other sphere of influence is a store in Lincoln City called, Robert's. Everyone within 50 miles of Robert's does it his way; straight 2 for 1 trade. But only Robert's looked as though he was doing well, and it was for the same reason as Powells: he had a huge selection, which was worth browsing. They others looked as poor a church mice, and I'm not surprised.

One was teetering on her last legs. (I'm really using the cliches up today, aren't I?) She was down to selling books for 2.00 each. I sort of said, why don't you charge something, even if it's a 10% surcharge, something to bring in the cash to pay your rent, upgrade your books, etc.

"Oh, no," she said. "I'd lose all my customers!"

"You mean, all the customers who don't spend money? Who just trade?"

She just looked at me, and I left before she tottered over and wheezed her last breath right in front of me.

So they all look really poor, like they're barely feeding themselves. But maybe they aren't doing it for the money?

They all looked miserable, too. Like they couldn't figure out why it wasn't working anymore. (Not that they'd change even if they did figure it out.)

Anyway, I can now see why used bookstores are having so much trouble.

P.S. Linda wanted me so say, there were a few friendly people we met, and a couple of nice stores. But I didn't want that to get in the way of my rant.

6 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

If you think I'm being too hard on them, let me say this.

It takes no more than five or ten minutes, twice a day, to go around and straighten the books. If a couple of days have gone by, it might take you all of half an hour.

There is NO EXCUSE for having a jumbled mass of disorganized, dirty books when you're sitting on your ass all day.

I just don't get it. I just can't figure it out. It's soooooo easy.

Anonymous said...

I think the problem is partly about the economic vitality of the regions you visited. I don't know exactly where you went, but it sounds like they were towns that aren't doing well economically. I mean, if you've got good business skills, you wouldn't go to Lincoln City to open a business. It's never going to be a very vibrant area -- that is, no desirable education-based jobs are being created there (unlike Eugene, Corvallis, and Portland).

I find tourist stores (bookstores and otherwise) in the coastal towns quite depressing. But who wants to go shopping when you go to Newport? The only things that inspire are the beach, the lighthouses, the parks, and (to some extent) the seafood restaurants.

Duncan McGeary said...

That's a very good point. I forgot to mention that: tourism is a minimum wage job.

But some of the small valley towns had equal problems -- perhaps from lack of population, but I truly believe that there is a model of bookstore that worked even ten years ago that no longer works.

Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting for you to write a textbook "How to Succeed in Business by Really Trying".

tim said...

I'm all in favor of how you do things as a business, and in the end, that's what matters.

The kind of bookstore I want as a book buyer can't exist in Bend because Bend is not a college town.

I'm curious what you think about Open Book. Their location is not very good, but they have 7 or 8 used Philip K. Dick books and Book Mark has none. Could just be a matter of specialization. How long have they been around?

Duncan McGeary said...

Funny you should bring up the Open Book. I think it is a most excellent store. A really, really good store, and better than anything we've seen on our trips.

They have a great selection, partly because they buy books. We have pretty much a trade only policy, but are very accepting of most books, figuring that a small percent will be real gems, a large percent will be good books, and a certain amount will be junk.

Open Book is more selective about what comes in. To me, that is often turning away customers. Different philosophy, but both workable if done right.