Saturday, June 21, 2008

Deja Vu all over again.

I'm getting a real flashback to the '70's over gas prices.

Parked in the downtown garage yesterday (in my 1990 Toyota Corolla I fill once a month) and turned the corner where the motorcycles are parked. Usually, there aren't any, or maybe one, once in a blue moon, there might be two.

There were five or six spanking new, shiny motorcycles and scooters! I'm thinking, these must cost at least 5k and up and that would pay for thousands of gallons of gas. How do you save money buying a new machine?

I think I'm seeing more bicycles than I've seen -- well -- ever.

Also, wondering if people have two cars in the family, a big SUV and/or pickup, and perhaps a smaller car, that they are just choosing to drive the smaller car more often.


So far, at work, one supplier has doubled their freight costs, (no biggie, actually, from one dollar per shipment to two dollars per shipment); another has gone from a flat 3.00 per shipment to 10.00 per. I'm sort of expecting to hear from the other suppliers soon.

I started joking with my comic customers that I was going to add a .5% energy surcharge to every comic.

4 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"There were five or six spanking new, shiny motorcycles and scooters! I'm thinking, these must cost at least 5k and up and that would pay for thousands of gallons of gas. How do you save money buying a new machine?"

At $4 a gallon, $5,000 buys 1,250 gallons of gasoline. If you commute 100 miles per week in a vehicle that gets 20 mpg you spend $20/week on gas. If you commute 100 miles per week on a scooter that gets 40 mpg you spend only $10. So your $5,000 scooter would pay for itself in gas savings in about 9.6 years. But a $2,000 scooter would pay for itself in less than four years.

Duncan McGeary said...

Seems pretty iffy to me.

H. Bruce Miller said...

What's "iffy" about it? It's simple arithmetic. Unless you think gas is going to go back down to $2.

Duncan McGeary said...

If you ride your bike everywhere (taking the kids to the market might be a bit iffy, especially with the bags of groceries.0

If the weather cooperates.

If gas prices don't decrease.

If you actually keep the bike for 9.6 or 4 years.

If you don't consider a motorcycle as a hospital waiting room.