Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Crime wave?

I've been wanting to blog about the recent 'crime wave' in Central Oregon. From carjackings to deer fucking, we've seen a wave of despicable acts. Is it the population increase, the types of people we're getting, or just a coincidence?

But on the way over to the coast, in talking to my wife, I realized that thing that really stands out is how inept the crime wave is. I mean, if you watch COPS or the First 48, you realize that these guys and gals don't exactly spend a lot of time thinking ahead, or worrying about consequences.

Still, I figure about half the crime reported in Central Oregon actually was perpetrated by the people who report the crime -- who are then ALWAYS caught in their lies. Half of what's left is failed crime -- someone trying to rob, steal, or assault and failing. And the rest is just utterly petty crime. Stupid, wasteful, idiotic crime.

I think it's a case of selective perception; once you start noticing the crimes, they seem to be everywhere. But mostly, they're just petty and stupid and not really all that dangerous. Having a guy swipe at you with a knife at an ATM is extremely alarming, but he failed. The victim simply drove away.

And even when they succeed, they seem to turn themselves in a few weeks later.

To weed out the fear mongering, I always look at my neighborhood, both home and business. What's happened there?

Nothing.

A rock through a window. A little bit of littering.

Anyway, I know it's not funny, but I do get a kick out of the mug shots on KTVZ.