Wednesday, September 19, 2007

There seems to be a growing tendency on the Bendbubble2 blog on the part of critics to say...."it's all been said...."

Actually, I think the housing bust is just starting, that it is going to be long and slow and torturous, and that the majority of those involved in the bubble still don't see it. The dynamics of a bubble have been plain to see since 2005, based on articles and blogs I've read. But you had to want to see them, you had to have some common sense. If you didn't see it then, you're probably not seeing it now. You're a dog who's getting beat and doesn't know why.

Some of them say things like, "yes, there was an excess, but now we're getting back to normal..." as if they can pick 'normal.' I doubt we'll settle on the optimal level on the downside anymore than we settled at the optimal level on the upside. More like a safe crashing through floors.

One of the things that had up to now puzzled me about the housing bubble was that there had been very mild denial, and almost no anger. But now the denial is starting to show up. The anger is next. Get ready, IHTBYB, because it's going to be your fault.

My own guess is that winter will be hard, but hope will be nurtured until spring. The activity of spring and summer will take place, with lots of fuzzy information, but by fall we'll ALL KNOW.

Then a winter for panic to incubate. Followed by panic selling in 2009. And then a long long time before people begin to believe again.

Think as you will, but I'm running my business on the basis of the above scenario. It doesn't hurt that good financial sense works in good times as well as bad; reduce debt, keep overhead and spending low, tend to your knitting.

If I'm wrong, and the economy keeps tooling along or picks up, it's very easy for me to pick up my spending. If I was wrong the other way, it's almost impossible to reduce spending in my business once I've committed. (I order product up to six months in advance, but I can get existing product in two days if I want it.)

So, this is going to be a very Darwinian process. Hell, I just read a letter in the trade publication from a sports card dealer about the importance of 'positive thinking.' How pathetic is that?

Some will never get what happened. They'll save face by blaming someone else -- the 'credit crunch', the fed, the Bend government, whatever. Hopefully, they won't fall for the next fad or bubble.

But the whole 'argument', if that's what it is, has just begun. I doubt even IHTBYB will have the gumption to keep it up; Bendbust, maybe. I'm almost ready to say, "believe whatever you want, if you aren't convinced by now nothing I say will make a difference...."

5 comments:

The Natives Are Restless said...

I think your timetable is spot on and I've told many people exactly the same thing. A little, little, teeny little bump come spring and summer, then everyone figures it out. Back to school and absolutely nothing moves, and the bills keep comin' in. OUCH!

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

Get ready, IHTBYB, because it's going to be your fault.

Too late. I & predecessors & others of "poor hygiene & morals" have already been blamed for the housing slowdown, bad manners, and scurvy in our schools, amongst other things.

Yeah, it's going to stay a pretty thankless task.

I think a lot of these peoples power of perception really doesn't go beyond their own nose. My wife is sort of like this. One thing she REALLY hates is when I write something down while we are having a "discussion": She KNOWS I am predicting something she will mutter in 5 minutes, and she preemptively gets pissed cuz I bat 1.000 there. So she bites her tongue... then cautiously proceeds... then like springing a trap, she gets handed the paper that predicts her behavior to the syllable. MAN, she hates that.

She, like many, is very predictable but strangely CANNOT predict ANYTHING herself. I don't want to say this is SELFISHNESS to a terrible degree but it is the inability to think outside of your own perspective. And these people who are bashing me & others seem to have ZERO ability to do any extrapolation of what current circumstances seem to dictate will happen. They seem to believe that my "bashing" is the cause of the slowdown. Similarly these people believe that MARKETING SOLVES ALL. They are SHALLOW thinkers. They don't extrapolate ANYTHING, and they believe that whatever is being SAID right now, is the root cause of whatever the situation is.

There's more to this World, and the RE bubble, than what's in front of your nose. The subprime mess? It's been bubbling for months & months! But to most of the poor clueless wonders it just SNUCK UP ON US OUT OF NOWHERE.

"WHOA! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? MAYBE IF ALL THE NAYSAYERS SHUT UP & WE ALL THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS IT'LL GO AWAY!"

It's becoming my belief (thru much experience, lots in the blogosphere) that people either cannot or will not think about ANYTHING that they do not WANT TO BELIEVE.

Duncan McGeary said...

I don't really see anger. Just a sort of .... peevishness.

There is a denseness there that is just amazing. Last message..."hey, we're selling as many houses as 2003!" (Never mind the population, the inventory, or the slowdown....)

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

"hey, we're selling as many houses as 2003!" (Never mind the population, the inventory, or the slowdown....)

And there's nothing wrong with OPTIMISM. Hell, I think that's great. But a lot of people are contracting "Everest Optimism": where they don't realize that unless they reel in their expectations, they will die (financially, that is).

Anonymous said...

All these arguments are pretty much the same country wide. We can't discuss the stupidity of the Iraq war because we're there, at least that is the current mantra.

Likewise, already we're told we can't discuss the bubble because we're there.

Any good student of history knows that you MUST not ignore the facts and stupidity that led to the current situation.

In Iraq its the lies we ignore that will lead us into Iran.

In Bend if we all give up and let the BULL & SORE become the ONLY spokesmen, then history will be revised, and repeated. The Emperor has no clothes. The TRUTH MUST BE TOLD.

Hollern & Ass are out of town carny's. 90% of Bend has been bamboozled.

The ONLY WAY to clean up Bend is to bring everything out in the open. Who stole from who, and exactly who and what caused the bubble. Document everything.

If this were Florida and we were asking Hollern why people can't use their clothes-lines they would be tasing us.

It's a good time to be anonymous.

Lastly, to date ALL of our detractors have been MORONS. I really wish with ALL this PR money they could find someone to support the BEND KLEPTOCRACY. Recall that a kleptocracy is a government ran by common criminals.

Keeping up to date reporting on the BULL & SORE is essential, in time more and more people will seek the blogs to get the real news.

One last item, I'm very concerned with this 'data' that has been supplied, I really wish that if your going to use data coming from NAR, that a little analysis be done to verify that data. I frequently say that MEDIANS don't mean shit. Somebody needs to break the data into low,med,high ( <300k,300-800k,>800k). I prefer to ONLY focus on <300K because this is what the MASS of bend can afford. The median skews what is important. To me what is happening at +1M is irrelevant I don't care what the MOST stupid people in Bend are doing with their money.

I care about what the $40k/house people are doing with their money.

A lot of people came to bend and BOUGHT BIG with the idea of flipping into small after they made their quick million. Folks that stayed put in their little -1200sqft are doing just fine, people who sold their 1200sqft for a 5,000 sqft shevlin are hurting bad.

With these numbers your looking at very OLD data, I think that people like me and duncan look at today, at what people are doing today. I don't care about data lag from long ago, I want to know whats going on today so I can predict tomorrow.

I learn more about realtors and builders from hanging out at deschutes than I ever learn from any other source. It's imagine how much shit board member of BT will tell a complete stranger at the bar. Bend is a small town. It is possible to know what is happening.

We must keep our hears open, we must criticize the BULL and SORE. We must NOT let politicians make US pay for their mistakes.