Sunday, February 11, 2024

Barbra wow wow..

I've been listening to Barbra Streisand's book, read by her. She's still got that heavy Brooklyn accent (though I suspect she's playing it up.)

Bottom line--I simply can't comprehend that level of ambition. 

I don't usually read autobiographies because I don't think you can trust them. Early on, I read one by a famous entertainer that I subsequently learned was 90% bullshit. 

So I'm listening to Streisand with a huge grain of salt. I'm trying to read between the lines, and trying to figure out what's genuine and what isn't. Funnily enough, the genuineness is at the forefront of her storytelling. 

So I don't really buy her humility and down-homeness. She lays it on a little thick. 

At the same time, she reads off comments about herself from friends and reviews that make her sound fantastic. Fair enough. She's proud of herself and she should be.

So at this point, I'm listening to hear the process of how you create a career like hers. I'm at the point in the book where she's 24 years old, the toast of the town, and about the film Funny Girl.

I'm exhausted just listening to her schedule. Like I said, the amount of effort it takes is almost incomprehensible. 

She's constantly saying she's a loner, but the subtext is that she is surrounded by people all the time. 

It's only the second audiobook I've ever listened to. I heard a snippet of the book read by her and it sounded like something I could listen to and not try to read. 

Ah, well. Only about 30 hours to go.

No comments: