Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Masks are losing.

I haven't been talking about the store because I haven't wanted to jinx it. But things have been going extraordinarily well. Basically, our expenses are down and our sales are up, even though we're only open four hours a day. Pretty much the perfect set-up.

(Of course we're missing revenue from 8 weeks, plus the rather large lump of money spent on flooring. But we could be out all that plus having slow return business, so...I'm grateful.)

I keep reminding myself that in return we are taking chances. The thing that decided me was that I don't think the odds are going to be any better in a month, or two months, or three months...and there is only so long we can go without income. We're trying to take precautions, but...

It's obvious that masks are losing.

Sabrina and I are wearing masks, and using hand sanitizer, and trying to keep our distance, but a good half or more of the people coming in seem to be taking no precautions whatsoever.

Again, I have to measure the risk reward ratio. Deschutes County has had relatively few cases, and no deaths so far. I think everyone has decided that we're going to be living with this danger for a long time.

We'll keep track of what's going on, continue to overtly thank everyone who wears a mask, and try very hard to keep our distance. But I believe--no matter what you think of this situation--that people aren't going to stay cloistered much longer. 

No comments: