Thursday, February 27, 2020

The novel as a Platonic Ideal.

I've taken a break from writing. I mean, I'm more or less doodling right now, keeping myself in the game, but I haven't committed. Writing an entire book has suddenly become daunting.

So I've been asking myself -- what am I trying to accomplish? I've been asking myself that from the beginning, and I've never had a clear answer. It usually comes down to whether I want sales or good reviews or to simply satisfy myself, or some combination thereof.

But all along I've had the concept of the "good book." The Platonic Ideal. The book that exists in my head.

So the question right now is--and this has also been there from the beginning; do I reach this Platonic Ideal of the "good book" through intuition or intellect?

Of course, the answer is, and always has been, both. The Platonic Ideal of the Duncan McGeary book requires everything I have, put together in just the right way, with just the right combination of elements. 

So then question becomes--is it possible to write this book? And do I have enough time to do it?

I'll never know the answer.  I can only try.

No comments: