Saturday, February 22, 2020

So this isn't working.

Waiting for inspiration.

If I want to keep writing, I'm going to have to set a daily goal. It doesn't have to be 1500 to 2000 words like it was during my prime; maybe 500 words, something like that.

There have been moments when the words have come--but they've almost always been at inconvenient times; late at night as I'm falling asleep or on the drive to Bend going to work, that kind of thing. Which--if I give into to urge--means either insomnia or being late for work.

I sort of knew this going in, but I was hoping for the best.

The thing is, writing books had finally become a JOB. Which, you know, it isn't. I mean, I earn my income elsewhere. I want good selling books, but that isn't the main goal.

But the problem I started having was, I knew that could plunk down another book every four or five months or so--but that's just what it would be: Plunking Down a Book. I wanted to try something new.

I'm still contemplating this dilemma, before I commit to a disciplined schedule again. But clearly, my magnum opus is never going to be written waiting for inspiration.

No comments: