Monday, February 11, 2019

Post Anvil-on-the head thoughts.

How did I get so lucky?

My wife, Linda, is the nicest person I've ever met. I used to joke that I was waiting for the "dark side" to emerge. It never has. Instead she has only deepened and matured in my eyes.

When my Mom was sick, Linda was hired by my family to take care of her. One particularly trying day, I walked in ahead of Linda and my Mom sat up and said, "Where's Linda? I want Linda! Linda is an angel!"

Now I tell this story because I completely and totally understood what Mom was saying and in fact often have the exact same reaction.

Linda is, in fact, an angel. She glows kindness and caring. All I have to do is think of her and I feel comforted.

When I met her she wasn't in any way what I'd had in mind. But I knew instantly that she was what I wanted and needed and I was going to be everything I could be to keep her with me forever. That feeling has never changed. There has never been a moment's doubt that she was the right one for me.

I didn't know then just how steadfast and funny and interesting and solid-to-the-core she was too.

I'm utterly amazed that I ended up with her. And that she still loves me after 35 years.

This is much sappier than I generally allow myself to say.

But it's what I've always felt.

No comments: