Sunday, February 24, 2019

Meanwhile, I'm waiting.

I really haven't written much in the last three months. I've dabbled with a novelette called "Rudy Red and the Robot," but I haven't been consistent. This is by far the longest time I've gone. In fact, I think previously I haven't let more then two weeks go by without writing.

Such a slow down was inevitable. I knew from the start I'd couldn't keep up the pace, but as long as I was keeping up the pace, I kept on writing. But the newness has worn off.

Part of it was by design. I decided to take December off because family was going to be home and that is always a disruption. Then, once that happened, I still didn't feel like doing anything. I told myself maybe it was time to take a step back, to take stock.

It's obvious I can write books. I have roughly 22 books up for sale right now.

But to what end?

It's a strange question to ask since I've just had my biggest success with "Deadfall Ridge." But this is a standalone book, in a different genre than I usually write. To take advantage of its success, I would need to write a series of "Hart Davis Strawberry Mountain Mysteries." Which is daunting.

I love being about to write whatever I want without regard to whether it sells or not. But to really make any headway, I need to think strategically. I should have another Virginia Reed book, another Hart Davis book.

I think some writers are much savvier and disciplined about what they write. Nail that long series down so that there is a synergistic effect.

Series are the biggest thing I need to do, but then that obligates me to keep writing them. Up until recently that wasn't really a problem because I was basically doing both. Original one-offs, followed by a series book, followed by another one-off, and so on.

But since I've slowed down, I need to start thinking about it.

The other thing I need to do is finish off the books that are almost done. I have four novellas set in a world I call "Tales of the Thirteen Principalities," which need to be edited to be consistent.  I have the four "Lander" books, which have been rewritten multiple times and need one more attempt.  I have "Takeover" which I can turn into a Hart Davis book, but not easily. I have "Eden's Return" which needs a solid rewrite.

My "game-lit" book, "Fateplay," is with the publisher, hopefully being edited and finding a cover.

If all these are finished, I have the next year or two covered as far as publication goes.

I'm pretty sure the day will come when the creative urge will just take over again.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting.

No comments: