Saturday, December 29, 2018

Turning "Takeover" into a Hart Davis book.

"Takeover."

Awhile back, I wrote a book about the fictional takeover the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, based on the Malhuer standoff. The first half was an experiment in storytelling, pretending to be first hand witness accounts by the various players.

The second half turned into a regular thriller.

I ended up liking the second half better. I mean, I liked what I did in the first half, but it just didn't really come together as a complete book. It needed a lead narrator, really, to tie it all together.

I've been thinking about it ever since. I know which character could do the best job of it. I would have to have him as the POV in the first two or three chapters, then I could seed in the other 1st person accounts--or turn those into 3rd person accounts.

The only reason to do this is that I think the story is pretty good, but because of the way I wrote it, the current book just doesn't work.

So I always had the intention of rewriting the first part of the book.

With "Deadfall Ridge" doing so well, I'm wondering if I can't turn the main character into Hart Davis, the protagonist of the latter book. I've sort of figured out a way, I think.

It also kind of excites me to try to do it, which is the crucial factor in any writing endeavor. So now I know what I'm going to be doing in January.

No comments: