Thursday, August 4, 2016

Wrote the penultimate chapter of Tuskers IV, where one of the major characters dies.

Was reading it to Linda, and I thought it was OK. Looked up and Linda was crying. "Oh, poor ****, he didn't deserve it."

Success! (Yes, I have a weird reaction to Linda crying.)

What I've discovered about major emotional pivot points is that the less "emotional" words you use, the more effective it is. That is, you underplay the drama in words and let the actions speak for themselves. The opposite of what you might think.

I still have a last chapter to write, and the epilogue, and a few chapter headings, but I'm almost there. Should be done by the end of the weekend.

Phew.

That means all my obligations have been written. I've done my yearly Virginia Reed Adventure, and finished the Tuskers saga. There is nothing anyone is currently waiting for.

So a bit of freedom.

I've decided to slow down slightly, change the process. I want to think more fully about a book for before I start writing it. Slow everything down. Basically, my goal is to try for more depth.

I always say, you can't write a book deeper than you are. (Well, you can, sorta, but...)

But if I take adequate time to think it through, and have a disciplined process, gravitas should happen. Heh. 


No comments: