Thursday, July 21, 2016

For the first time in a long time I don't have an idea for a new book lined up in advance.

I mean, I want to finish The Last Sombrero, and write more "last hat" books. I wouldn't mind writing some more Deviltree books. I want to finish The Odyssey of Linger Longfellow. The Reluctant Wizard was meant as the first book in a trilogy.

I want to continue with my Virginia Reed series and have a rough idea of where I want it to go next.

But a brand new idea?

Am I worried? Not in the slightest. I still have to finish Tuskers IV, I still have to finish Fires of Allah, and I'll be into the fall before I can even think about writing something new.

Some of my favorite books started off as a lark, and then turned into something. So I don't doubt that something will come up.

I'd like to mix it up a little. I've been trying different genres and techniques, and I'd like to continue doing that.

I've strayed into Thriller territory, and I enjoy writing that. I worry that I don't get technical details right, though. What police procedure is appropriate, what caliber of ammunition, that kind of thing.

Fantasy is always alluring, but I really don't like the world-building, except whatever world building happens in the course of writing.

Horror is a very open genre, and I'm still intrigued by it's possibilities.

I might try a straight historical novel, especially set in the West, most especially in Oregon. I've got an idea for that. In fact, as I'm writing this, I realized that's really where I want to go. Weird. A Western. Heh.




No comments: