Friday, June 17, 2016

Took the day off from writing, and it felt a little strange.

I don't want writing to become a job, a chore, an onerous task. It has to be something I want to do, that I feel compelled to do.

But being compelled and it becoming a burden aren't all that far removed.

When I take time off, I can almost feel my creative energies returning. I have an almost concrete image in my mind of a well that is filling back up with water. That moment of eagerness returns when the water overflows,  I think that's when my best writing comes.

Part of my process has been to refine that. For instance, I used to allow myself to write 3 or 4 or 5 or more thousands words in a day. But I've sort of pulled myself back and try to limit myself to between 1500 and 2500. That leaves enough energy for the next day. (However, if I was really really feeling it, I'd still write beyond that.)

At the same time, though, I don't want to get too far away from the habit of writing every day. I don't want to lose that feeling of being antsy if I don't write.

So... it's just a day off. Probably shouldn't make a big deal out of it. But it's rare enough that I feel like commenting on it.

There you go, commenting on nothing happening... Writing about nothing at all, because by God I have to write something.

No comments: