Thursday, April 28, 2016

"Damn! Where did that come from?"

Passed 112K words on Fairy Punk, still have several chapters to write.

I've really enjoyed writing this book. I hope the readers will enjoy it as much as I do. This is the kind of epic fantasy I can see myself writing. Set in the real world but also completely fantastical. Just really fun to spin off ideas.

My "Memoirs of Joseph Tindermaker" headings to each chapter are fun. I can just wax poetic, spin out ideas. It explains what's happening in the narrative so that I don't have to slow down the narrative to explain. (Weird, that, since the Memoirs aren't narrative at all and might ordinarily be considered a complete slow down...yet somehow, to my mind, that's different. If you start reading the headings you've bought into the idea of the headings.)

The biggest lesson of this book is to treat each chapter as it's own thing. To be patient. To just approach each day as another step. To not hurry and to not try too hard to come up with an overall plot, instead letting the story develop the plot.

All this is the result of really trusting my subconscious to have a plan. I've written so much, that I completely believe that something will come up, something will happen, it will all tie together.

I haven't lost my joy in writing. I know that sounds sappy, but I don't know how else to explain it. Whatever worries I have for the day, writing brings a fresh mood. Euphoric, satisfying.

I walk along my Badlands trail after finishing and just say, "Damn! Where did that come from?"


No comments: