Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sunday suds.

I plowed through some of my backlog of New York Times newspapers.

Many hours later, my fingers were black and shiny, and I was soooooooo much more informed.....

**********

The article on the cluster of stores at Ninth and Wilson was interesting. I have no idea how this model of retail works. For me, the more foot traffic the better and I'm willing to pay for it. Saving a few bucks on rent just wouldn't make the difference.

The Bulletin mentions that they pay .40 a foot and downtown pays 1.50 a foot. Uh....try more like 2.00 a foot, (when triple net is included.)

Basically, the savings on rent would be worth about 20% of my sales. I'm pretty sure that my sales would drop by more than 20% by being in such an out of the way location.

Also, not being open 5 days a week?

**********

Much as I love writing this blog, I don't think of myself as a journalist.

On the other hand, I can see how a journalist might want to write a blog, and need to be protected by the 1st Amendment. Well, actually, I -- Do -- want to be protected by the 1st Amendment. Then again, I try to be truthful and honest in this blog. I try not to pass on scurrilous rumors. I try not to indulge in (too much) unfounded speculation. I try not to personally attack people. (And I try to enforce these rules on the comments as well...)

These are personal rules, arrived at by trial and error. I came to realize, for instance, that even if not a whole lot of people are reading this blog, that anyone can do a websearch of their name and what I say about them might pop up. I'm not interested in hurting people.

The Bulletin's editorial, and the article inside about the legal case surrounding Summit, raise a lot of troubling issues.

I can't tell you what a blog that deserves protection looks like, but I know it when I see it.

**********

I'm going have my first Imax experience this afternoon.

I'm not going because it's Mission Impossible.

I'm certainly not going because it's Tom Cruise. (Ugh.)

No, I'm going because of Brad Bird. Of the Incredibles. And even more importantly, of The Iron Giant!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

9th and Wilson is a dead zone. Lot of traffic but more businesses have gone out of business around 9th and Wilson than any other intersection in town. I have no actual numbers to back that up but I know turnover has been high in those complexes. I think it would be a death sentence to open a retail shop in that area.

Duncan McGeary said...

My feeling is low rent won't keep you in business, nor high rent put you out of business, all other things being equal.

There are extreme examples, of course.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Many hours later, my fingers were black and shiny, and I was soooooooo much more informed....."

The NY Times does have the dirtiest ink of any paper I've ever encountered. I think they must have it specially made.