Friday, December 23, 2011

A Bookish Proclamation.

I've settled into the notion that books and comics aren't going away.

I don't doubt the digital. I just think they'll co-exist, and in the end, many, many people, young and old, poor or rich, will prefer to actually own and read a paper book.

There will be a shakeout. Taking 10% or 20% or 30% or 40% off the top is going to be brutal to a lot of marginal businesses who didn't diversify. It's going to hurt the non-marginal businesses who did diversify.

But in the end, the demand will still be there and therefore the storefronts who will fill that demand will still be there.

I plan to be one of them.

When you want to talk books, come and see me!

2 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"I don't doubt the digital. I just think they'll co-exist, and in the end, many, many people, young and old, poor or rich, will prefer to actually own and read a paper book."

They will co-exist, and often in the same household. I don't intend to stop buying paper books; in fact I bought one just last week.

Luci & Loree said...

I got a Kindle a couple years ago, the 2nd generation i think. I still want a BOOK!!! I like the feel and heft, smell. Like knowing i have a STACK of them ready for me to read when i want to. Like them laying about, to look at when i want. Think digital will co-exist, but for a real biblofile,a person needs a BOOK.