Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Linda and I went out driving on the west side of Bend this morning. As someone who went to COCC over 30 years ago, I'm astounded by the new businesses on College Way. All the businesses in areas that I've always pretty much thought of as residential. Everytime I drive around Bend, I'm astounded.

Either I'm wrong, or these businesses are. This is a really good place to point out that sometimes I'm just expressing my puzzlement. I just don't get how these businesses succeed. I don't wish them bad luck, I don't even assume that they aren't succeeding, I just.....don't.....get.....it.

As much as I grumble about the rent downtown, I can at least see some reasons for it. People do come downtown to shop, they do walk around. But I see some fancy high-end shop a half a block off College Way and I'm completely stumped. How many people do they get in every day?

When we had a store in the Mountain View Mall, the rents were quite a bit higher than downtown. But it didn't take long before I realized that if I was to ever start a shop from scratch, I would open in a mall. People find you there. (Doesn't matter how many people tell you that they don't like malls, that they prefer downtown.) Despite my being downtown for over three times as long as I was in the mall, I'd still be willing to bet that more people found us there than have ever found us downtown. I figure that just about everyone who came to town checked out the malls, probably from one end to the other. Not everyone checks out downtown, and almost no one checks out every street.

The malls failed. Not exactly sure why; it could very well have been the high rents. All the financial shenanigans; or just the change in retail 'fad' from enclosed shopping malls, to open shopping malls, to Big Box Centers. (Give it another few years, and we'll go full circle back to downtown department stores.....) But as difficult succeeding in the malls was, at least there was a CHANCE to get people in the door. My wife's bookstore, THE BOOKMARK, is located on the BUSIEST corner in all of Bend, the intersection of 3rd and Greenwood, where Highway 20 intersects with Highway 97. And yet, after 3 years, we still have plenty of people who don't know we're there; plenty of people who come in for the first time after 3 years, and it's clear they still think of us as a new store.

If you have a store that isn't on a main street, isn't in a walking area, isn't in a shopping center, how many visitors do you get? Some of these are nice looking stores, obviously well-loved by the owners. Still, how many customers do they have? I have a huge backlog of customers, anyone who has come in my store over the past 26 years even once is a potential customer. Anyone checking out downtown. All my regulars. And I'll still have extremely slow days, when hardly anyone comes in. I can't imagine what it must be like on some of these out of the way stores.

I've come to the conclusion, especially after observing most stores close before they ever hit the 10 year mark, that almost all small businesses fail. Is it all just money churning through the system? Is it all equity money from somewhere else being dissipated? That is what it looks like to me.

That can't be right, can it?

4 comments:

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks for writing what is probably the best business-oriented blog in Bend. And probably the marketing piece put out by any company.

I read every post!

dkgoodman said...

I've been in many, many indoor malls, and I've never seen ones as small as ours.

Most stores that aren't in indoor malls, you try to park as close as you can, you go to the store you want, and you maybe walk around the stores nearby. Or not.

Stores in an indoor mall require more "investment" on the part of the consumer. You park someplace that may or not be close, you walk further to get to the store you want, but you figure that once you're inside, there's lots of stores in easy, comfortable indoor walking distance. It's a destination. You can shop for lots of different things, hang out with friends, find different things to eat, even if the others in your party want different things to eat.

At our indoor malls, they're so tiny, with so little selection and so few anchors, it's not worth the effort to overcome the threshold of pain to go there. A good indoor mall needs a bookstore, a music store, a gadget store, a variety of eateries and hopefully an open, pleasant atmosphere. Ours just don't make the grade.

Duncan McGeary said...

D.K,

I don't know if you were ever in the Moutain View Mall or the Bend River Mall 15 years ago, but they were plenty 'big' for Bend. They were big enough to empty out the downtown core, and to make 3rd Street the seedy little strip mall corridor it is today. Back in the day, they were the place to be, and they were also plenty busy, especially the Mt. View.

There were bookstores in each, lots of dining, game rooms, theaters, plenty of variety. Just by customer count alone, I know that our mall store got many times the number of visits. I think the malls were mismanaged, more than the concept wasn't working. They opened just as a long, painful recession was starting and never really got going. And I think that the big boxes make 'fad' business decisions, just as small businesses do, and they decided 'Big Box' was the place to be.

As you say,though, even people who don't shop much will usually check out the entire mall at least once. Not so, downtown Bend.

It's the stores who aren't on either a busy throroughfare or at a shopping center, especially ones that are one block over on sidestreets --these are the stores who puzzle me.

It is really hard to get people to stop what they are doing and come in. They pretty much say to themselves, "I've got to get someplace today, but next time I'll drop in." But 'next time' sometimes never comes. I think people want proof that the store is worth their investment, so they take a wait and see attitude. Whereas downtown, if they are walking around, they can just drop in.

Duncan McGeary said...

ihtbyb,

Thanks. Has it worked to get you to come in? Anyway, I find small business fascinating...