Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Weird Apocalyptic Euphoria.

To what do I attribute the surge in business over the last couple of years?

I don't know...has anything unusual happened in the last two years? Hmm? 

So I've been coming up with all kinds of likely reasons.

1.) Books, books, books. This is the most likely explanation. We've increased the quantity and quality of our new books rather dramatically, and I think it finally kicked in, especially with tourists who walk in the door and think, "Oh, a bookstore!"

2.) Pokemon and Magic. This too is a likely explanations. I went out of my way to carry a good inventory of both brands at a time when they were popular, especially Pokemon. 

3.) The desire on the part of the consumer for the human, not corporate touch. I'd like to believe this, and I do think that tourists are more interested in idiosyncratic, funky businesses than in going to the same corporate big boxes that exist where they came from.  

The "Shop Local" mantra might be finally kicking in. It's sweet to think so, but I think the Internet and big boxes are doing just fine. 

4.) Free money. Sure, lots of money was pumped into the economy. How much of that propped up sales is open for debate. At the very least, it kept spending from cratering. 

This morning, it occurred to me that all of these explanations are insufficient. It occurred to me that the real reason we had such a surge was simple.

Weird Apocalyptic Euphoria. 

I won't try to define it. You know what I mean...

Live, eat, and be merry--and spend money--for tomorrow we may die. People came into the store like they'd been released from prison and just had to get a book, or comic, or game, or card. 

"Damn it, I deserve it! I'm tired of all the bad news! I'm doing it!"

Only problem is, that feeling is going to wear off eventually. The new, new...new normal is that masks and Covid and all that comes with it are here to stay. 

It's a slow apocalypse.

No comments: