Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Books I love that I can never seem to sell to customers.

 Books I love that I can never seem to sell to customers.

1.) Any and all Lois McMasters Bujold. Never mind that she'd maybe won more industry honors than just about any other writer, nothing I do will convince people to try her.

2.) Armor, by John Steakley. One of the best standalone SF novels I've ever read. Even though the author only wrote two books in his life (the other, Vampire$, is almost as good) no one will try him. His books have never gone out of print, which is an accomplishment for standalone books.

3.) Thomas Perry thrillers. To my mind, he's the best out there. Compulsively readable. Great characters. But I guess he ain't no Lee Child...

4.) Anubis Gates, Tim Powers. This to me is the precursor and still one of the best urban/goth/steampunk fantasies. Lost in time, I guess. 

5.) Stephen Hunter: another great thriller writer, even if I don't much like his politics. (Seems to be a a lot of right wing stuff in thrillers.)

6.) Heinlein young adult books. Everyone seems to want to read his later, "dirty old man" novels: basically everything after Stranger in a Strange Land. But his YA stuff is the cat's meow. My favorite is Tunnel in the Sky, which is out of print. Most of his YA is out of print. I actually had a kid return a Heinlein because it was too slow. This is not an something I would have ever thought possible. 

7.) The Chronicles of Prydain, by Lloyd Alexander. Apparently too old school for the new generation. But came long before most YA fantasy. 

8.) Watership Down. Yes, it's about bunnies. But these are some honcho bunnies. 

9.) The Once and Future King. Actually, I do have some luck selling this, but I'm always afraid it is going to be too dense for modern fantasy readers, so I sometimes talk them out of it. 

10,) Chronicles of Narnia. Yes, even this, but only because I think most people think they already know the story. But knowing and experiencing it are two different things.

 I could go on, but these are a good start.


No comments: