Saturday, July 3, 2021

Question the common wisdom of the bookstore/coffee shop.

I check the industry website, "Shelf Awareness," every day, and it seems as if there is always one or two new bookstore/coffee and or whatever else is thrown into the mix. But mostly coffee. It is commonly accepted wisdom. It is rare anymore that anyone just opens a "bookstore." 

Much like my opinion on street closures (that the common wisdom that it helps downtown businesses is wrong but too strong a bias to overcome), I believe that having a coffee shop and a bookstore is the worst of both worlds.

In most cases. (I guess I have to point out that I am generalizing and there are of course many exceptions.) 

Simply put, I think the more books you have, the more you sell. Anything that takes space away from displaying and stocking of new books is probably a negative. 

Coffee shops are a double whammy. You have to have space for the catering side, as well as seating for the consumers. You probably have to have an employee whose sole job is to serve the customers...and perhaps ring up sales. But it probably means your employee isn't out on the floor talking books as much. It's a time and space and money suck. 

Again, I would get push back from almost everyone who actually does this. But I always wonder--yes, you've made it work, but maybe you'd be doing even better if you were just doing books?

Side products, by the way, I have no problem with. Obviously, if you've ever been in my store. I sell toys and games and card games and collector cards and comics. This is simple diversification of a retail store.

A coffee shop or restaurant is a completely different kettle of fish.

I venture my opinion on downtown businesses fairly often--probably too much--but I always opt out of offering an opinion on restaurants because their business models is completely different than selling dry goods. 

Nothing I say will change this dynamic. I've made my choice and I'm happy with the results. I guess I would only point out that maybe, just maybe, the bookstore/coffee shop isn't always the best solution to things.

I guess all I'm saying is--question the common wisdom and don't complicate things.

No comments: