Thursday, November 26, 2020

Talking to my heart. Be grateful.

Today is Thanksgiving, and I'm very grateful for everything. Life is good right now. I'm relaxed and enjoying it. The heart attack is ever-present in my mind. I want to continue to enjoy life while I can, so I have these little talks with my heart.

"Look, heart. I'd like to keep on enjoying life. It took a long time to get here...

Apparently, heart, your insides are lined with some kind of plaque which can like BLOW UP! at any moment. So let's be calm and talk about this.  

I know it isn't your fault, exactly. I mean, I really subjected you to tons of stress, I haven't fed you right, I really haven't taken you out for exercise much, you had to carry 20/30 pounds of extra weight around.

I mean, I was walking for an freakin' hour every day for years and had dropped a bunch of weight, so why did you attack me? But I'm not holding a grudge.

So...my bad.

Then again, it appears we were born this way. The cholesterol just gloms onto us. When I was first informed of this fact, I asked the doctor how much I needed to change my diet.

"It won't matter. You need medication..."

So I took the medication, but apparently it wasn't enough. 

This time the doctors said, "You must live on green beans and turnips."

And I said, "Ain't going to happen. I'll stop eating fast food as much as possible, but really...I can't do it."

So...my bad. Listen here, I've dropped 20 pounds again so you're carrying around less weight, and my heart rate is down 20 beats and my blood pressure is lower and I'm turning my blood into thinner, and so on. So how about you keep going for a while longer?

Oh, and there's this little bug out there that apparently can hurt you. I'm trying my best to protect you, but I'm working--which is part of that enjoying life I was talking about--so there's some risk.  

I'm grateful for this last decade. Everything has been going my way, but without your little attack, maybe I wouldn't appreciate it enough. 

So, peace, brother. Let's try to get along a while longer.


No comments: