Monday, August 24, 2020

There's a reason Google and Amazon own the world.

Turns out, selling a ton of books means spending a ton of time online ordering. I've really only set up with one publisher so far--the biggest, Penguin Random House. I do have an account with Scholastic, which is also important for our store because of their great YA stuff, but I've only ordered once from them.

I get an extra 10% discount by ordering direct from the publishers.

In return, I probably double the time spent on ordering. I don't hate ordering like I do some things, so I'm willing to do it so far. But it certainly gives me pause about setting up with the other Big Three, which would probably account for 80% of our orders. I've had no trouble meeting the minimums shipping for PRH, but it's a laborious process because of their lousy search engine.

My book distributor has just as bad a search engine.

What I end up doing is using Amazon to find a book, copying the ISBN number and then going back and entering it. If I can't find it on Amazon, I'll can always find it on Google.

Ease of use. What a reason for world domination, eh?


No comments: