Wednesday, August 12, 2020

All the things only a storekeeper would care about.

So the Baby Yoda merchandise is finally showing up--and no one seems to care. I ordered them in October, 2019.




Meanwhile, Netflix showing "Avatar: the Last Airbender" and "Umbrella Academy" means that the graphic novel sources are completely sold out everywhere. Come on, you guys, plan ahead a little!



Got about three months worth of reorders in one giant dump this week. Diamond is trying to catch up, I guess.



On the retailer sites there is a crew of guys who are cheering DC on. My guess, most of them are in the southern USA (so never closed down) and are newer-ish owners. Also, accusing anyone who sees trouble ahead as "Negative Nancys). It takes all my willpower not to call them Quislings. "Well, sure, Hitler has invaded Norway, but he's making the trains run on time!" I've seen this in other industries in trouble, including sports cards, pogs, and beanie babies. As soon as problems pop up, some retailers circle the wagons and proclaim "Everything would be just fine if you weren't so negative!" Small satisfaction that these people almost never survive, while those of us who see the problems and try to deal with them---sometimes--do survive. Rather harsh: that's why I'm saying it here instead of on the retailer sites. What none of them seem to realize is that DC comics is likely to really pare down on their releases in the near future, which runs counter to their narrative. 

Leaning back in my chair, staring at the screen in disbelief, raising my palms outward and saying, "Peace out."




Something I'm noticing in the comic business, for some reason. My compatriots are biting the dust. One of the first rolemodels I started following in the comic business died a few years ago; another prominent retailer just had a heart attack; and an online comic reviewer recently passed away. I mean, we're of an age.




I'm finally getting ready to get back to writing. I'm going to finish up my first "Spell Realms" novel, "Castle La Magie."  It's a light fantasy, YA-ish. A fun book, I think. I have several novels that can be adapted to the Spell Realm universe. Just need to finish editing, send it off to my editor, and get a cool cover made.

Then I'm going to write my Epic Trilogy--only I've decided to attempt one big book to start with and see where it leads.

No comments: