Saturday, August 29, 2020

Misfits fitting with misfits.

More thoughts engendered by the book "Astounding."

As much as I love S.F. and Fantasy, I've never been able to settle into the fan community. I mean, I guess for a long time I thought I'd be a natural candidate, but when it came down to it, I felt as out of place among the fans as I did with everyone else.

I couldn't quite go all in. It seemed like everyone else immediately bonded through their shared interests. I remember going to Ore-con after I wrote Star Axe and feeling completely out of place.

I love the subject matter; I read an awful lot of it--I also read about it, which is a different thing altogether. I never saw the need to choose one type of story. I always read in all genres as well as non-fiction. My reading is pretty esoteric.

I'm not putting it down. Sometimes I've envied people who seem to fit in so well, even when it's misfits fitting with other misfits.

Bottom down, I'm a loner. 

So instead, I created a space that I felt comfortable in. Probably much more than most stores, Pegasus Books is a reflection of my interests. Even though I might be able to claim being Chief Nerd, in most ways I have never quite understood my own customers.

I've just managed to hide it well. Heh.

No comments: