Thursday, April 30, 2020

Like a housewife rearranging the furniture...

I've always liked rearranging the store. Yes, the store is mess. Yes, it's stressful.

But at the same time, I've always loved this aspect of the store. Making improvements. I'm also able to clean the store, top to bottom, which is satisfying. Mostly though I just love trying to figure out the right arrangement with what I've got.

I pretty much need to do it alone, except for a few heavy fixtures. When someone is there helping, they tend to say, "That won't work," whereas, I'll try something and if it doesn't work, I'll change it back. Which is twice as much work, but since these big changes are infrequent, I might as well get it right.

Most of time, the stress of needed to finish is overwhelming. This time, I'm sort of relaxing into the realization that I have time.

The other thing that happens when I have people helping is that they want to get going. "What do you want to do here?" they ask, and my general tendency is to mull things over. Sit in a chair and think through the ramifications, wait for my subconscious to give me the go ahead. Which obviously doesn't work if someone is standing there tapping their feet.

So I like just puttering around at my own pace. I take on a task, get tired of doing it, start doing something else, come back and do the first task and then the task I left off of yesterday, and so on. I can only keep track of this if I'm by myself.

So...back to the store for the next three days and getting as much done on my own as possible.

No comments: