Sunday, September 23, 2018

I always like my stories when I'm writing them. When I'm in the throes of a fictional dream, I can convince myself that what I'm writing is special. I suppose that's why I keep writing.

It's only before and after writing the story that I have doubts.

Before, I doubt the premise; I wonder if it's commercial, whether anyone will want to read it; or whether it is a strong enough idea to continue to the end. Does it have enough weight and is it also entertaining?

Usually, after puzzling about these things, I just forget it and do what I wanted to do in the first place, and sure enough, sometimes when I'm finished I realize it's a little too quirky. Occasionally it doesn't have enough heft for me to even finish (though this is rare; like I said, I like the stories when I'm writing them).

And then after I'm finished, the real doubts start. I start to see the flaws, the missteps. Some I can fix, some I can't. They rarely come out perfectly the way I wanted them. (Strangely, it's the middle book in my Vampire Trilogy, "Rule of Vampire," that I remember that way.)

Between books I'm reading other authors, and I always feel like I suffer in comparison. (Never compare?)

But while I'm writing, I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. It is very much like reading a book, finding out where it goes, being surprised, being pleased by what happens.

So in the end, it probably doesn't matter what happens commercially.

The truth is, I need to write for my own well-being. It's good for me; intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually. 


3 comments:

Dave Cline said...

I'm becoming convinced that I need to establish a solid story outline -- if only a rough one -- one with a truly compelling theme and plot line, before starting to write. I pretty much "winged" the first few and although they worked out (I did have the notion in the back of my mind of how things should play out) I think moving forward I'll need a framework onto which to hang scenes. (This from your advice.)

I've had to take a real job. Nine hours per day in a cube. So my writing time has been pared down which means, when I write, I must be focused and the target well defined.

Duncan McGeary said...

I've had the same impulse for a long time. To write a "solid story outline." But I've found it a recipe for writer's block.

Even when I attempt it, the words start flowing and I've always found it dangerous to not write when the words start flowing.

When I've done outlines, I've gone off them almost immediately. For me, the subconscious wants what the subconscious wants.

But...too many times I've written myself into corners, or the plot has taken a turn that didn't work out. So I constantly wish I could do more planning.

Tellingly, I've fully outlined two novels--and I didn't write either one of them.

Hey, we all want a 'truly compelling theme and plot line." Ain't so easy.

But most of all, inspiration for me comes from doing. I can't hang back and objectively put the parts together. Nothing really comes to me, except in the most vague of ways.

Duncan McGeary said...

Apropos to that.

I really want to dig into a Tolkien fantasy one day, and I'm going to want to completely outline it and flesh out the world. So that will be a huge challenge. I've been holding off doing it until I feel ready.