Saturday, July 28, 2018

Daily "Fateplay" re-write journal. Day 1.

I'm going to work on 10 pages a day. No more, no less. I'm going to spend the whole day doing it. It should take about 30 days.

I woke up this morning with an addition to the first chapter that I think will work, though it definitely complicates things. But I like that. Complications are interesting.

I knew that I wanted to add a little family history to the first chapter. That I wanted Zach to get an anonymous ticket to the Portland Pegasus Convention. Most of all, I knew that I wanted there to be both a mysterious warning and a mysterious attack.

So the solution I came up with this morning will do all those things. But it will add a new element that will have to be addressed through the rest of the book.

10 pages at a time.


Complication #1.

The whole second chapter will have to come later. So I'm just setting that aside and working on the next five pages.

OK. Rewrote the entire first chapter. Took a couple of hours. It came out well, I think. I cut some of the info dump and added some more action. There is about two pages of new writing, and I cut about half a page, so the five pages turned into seven pages. Going to take a breather and then tackle the next five pages.

Six hours later:

The second chapter is now going to be the third chapter. I took parts of it to do the second chapter and added a bunch. I've hit 13 pages on the new version, which is think is roughly comparable to 10 pages on the original version.

Most of the real revisions are going to take place in the first fifty pages of the book, so that's where the real work comes in.

This was every bit as hard as I thought it would be, but I do think it's better.

Two hours later:

Realized that I needed some action at the beginning of the second chapter and also a better motivation, so added a scene. Now up to 15 pages, which I think means I reached beyond my 10 page goal of the original manuscript.

Ready for tomorrow.

No comments: