Thursday, December 25, 2014

A Real Bestseller -- at least for awhile.

Led to the Slaughter: The Donner Party Werewolves.
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,106 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)

    #42 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror

  
Well, that was fun.  I may only stay in these heights for awhile, but it's cool while it lasts.

As you probably have figured out, I check out my Amazon rankings way too often, especially if there has been a change or a new addition.

Four of my books have changed in price, and one book is new.  So lots of reasons to be curious.

So I started noticing after dinner last night that my rankings were plunging.  This is good.  The lower the number, the better.  It means I'm selling better than everyone except those lower.

So instead of the usual top 100K rankings, which basically means I'm making sales every day (and for which I'm grateful), I dropped down to 30K, then 20K, then 10K, then 5K, then 2K.  That means that out of all the books on Amazon, for that a few hours at least, only 2105 books were selling better.  
These ranking change hourly, so I just kept watching.

Suddenly, I'm in the Top 100 Horror novels.  This is a whole nother ballgame. This is a separate page, highlighted by Amazon.

By midnight, I was #64, just ahead of #65 Under the Dome, by Stephen King and #66 The Long Walk, by Stephen King.

By 2:00 AM I was #42.

(I should probably mention right here that this is only bragging rights, not money.  To make real money, I'd need to be on the New York Times Bestseller list..)

I know that being excited by being #42 may seem pretty pallid ("I'm #42!  I'm #42!") but you have to realize there are 60,000 horror novels right now.  Being #2106 overall?  There are probably 7 or 8 million or more books on Amazon.

And as much as I wanted to see how Low it would Go, sleep finally overcame ego.

I woke up, knowing something was going on.

#45 still this morning.

I started Googling around and finally discovered that I was one of featured books yesterday on a website called Ereader News Today, with 500K followers/subscribers.  http://ereadernewstoday.com/more-ent-deals-for-12-24-14/6752059/

So that shows the power of a larger venue.  Even fractions of percents start to add up.  (I may get an extra day out of this since they don't have a 12/25 posting.  But then, who is looking on Christmas?)

Of course, it can't last -- at least this time.  Stephen King will still be there tomorrow, while I'll rise to more normal numbers.

But it was fun while it lasted.

No comments: