Sunday, June 1, 2014

Planting the seeds.

At the end of this writing session, I'll be about 65% of the way through Ghostlander.  Time to start firming up the ending.

I had a vague idea of what needed to be done.  I've established that the Pilot Butte Inn is haunted.  Not only that, but there are places throughout Faery and Mortal Lands that are haunted.

So I needed a way for the main character, Cobb, to more or less exorcise the evil.  Something that would make sense for a Faery creature.  Something grand and exciting.

I figured out a very cool solution, but it was a little bit too much like pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

Except -- there is no reason why I can't go back and plant hints and foreshadows and clues throughout the first two books.  In fact, the solution also helps explain a few things in the first book.

It's an easy fix.  It doesn't disrupt the plots of either the first or second books, just a little detail that actually kinds of gives them some added flavor.  And then become full-blown significant in the third book.

I guess there are some advantages to writing the third book before I release the first book!

No comments: