Tuesday, June 3, 2014

How am I doing?

Aaron Leis was over yesterday helping us with tech things, and he asked how my books were selling.

Well, I don't know.  I won't know until I get a readout from my publisher, and lord knows when that will happen.

I do know how many books I've sold on Amazon, because I found a workaround online.  And of course I know how many books I've sold in my own stores.

So based on that, assuming that sales are similar on the other venues, Smashwords, Apple, and Barnes and Noble and whatever 'foreign' sales I'm making, I'd have to say, for me the sales are 'promising.'  Assuming that they continue on this pace for a couple more months, and then still have the occasional sales thereafter.

The sales are probably higher than anything I could have done on my own. It's enough to feel like I'm not completely wasting my time, but not enough that the money would impress anyone, and certainly not enough to quit my day job.

My publisher said, "You're starting over.  You've just begun."  So I keep reminding myself of that.

I'll have a steady roll out of new material.  I've got enough books already finished that I should be able to bring out something every 5 months or so.

If this was a store campaign I'd be satisfied that I'm on track.  (I often bring in product lines that take years to really reach fruition.  You try to start off with enough impact to make the space, time and money expended justified and then build on it.)

There's just a sense that things are rolling out in a reasonable way, and I have that sense. 

So I'll just keep doing it and hoping that creating content is enough.  Just try to make sure each book is worth reading.  Just hope that people slowly find me.

I'm content with it.

No comments: