Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The print version of Led to the Slaughter is gorgeous.

I saw the design -- the mockup --  of the print version and it looks gorgeous.

Reading it the way it will appear on the page -- makes it seem like all that much more of a book.  Like this is the story the way it was meant to be.  Like the bindings and the design and flow legitimize it somehow.

I can see the appeal of ebooks.  The price of the digital version is 3.99, the price of print version will probably be between 12.99 and 14.99.

But the digital still seems somehow hypothetical, somehow.   I mean, I know it exists -- I know it's the content that counts, but still.  Having the book exist in material form -- that means it is real to me.

It reads really well.

Like -- I wrote that?  Wow.  I wrote that...

I wanted to prove I could do it, and so I have. 

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I will be all over the print version like a hobo on a ham sandwich. The tech version I am not sure. I would rather have a "nail biting page turner" than a "screen swiper".

I am a dinosaur.

Jack said...

"Having the book exist in material form -- that means it is real to me."

I know the feeling, Dunc. For 25 years I designed consumer audio electronics products. It's one thing to see the thing as drawings on vellum (early days), or later as renderings on a computer monitor. Quite another to pick up the actual piece and turn the knobs, flip the switches -- touch the thing, and hear it work.


"Like -- I wrote that? Wow. I wrote that..."

Nice feeling.

"I wanted to prove I could do it, and so I have."

Well done, sir.