Friday, February 21, 2014

The continuing adventures of Virginia Reed.

I'm getting ready to start writing again.

Somewhat to my surprise, I think it will be a sequel to Led to the Slaughter, instead of continuing Ghostlander like I originally intended.

The ideas started flowing yesterday, and I liked them quite a bit.

Something that I've realized that I need to do before I start the book is have a general idea of the theme and what I hope to accomplish.  But even more important, making sure I have all the ingredients for a book.

So, for instance, I knew that I wanted to continue Virginia Reed's story.  I knew I was going to throw in a werewolf or two.  I knew that I was going to go toward a Bigfoot type character and that the 49's gold rush would be the background..

Yesterday, I realized I wanted to bring in the California Native American genocide, which was one of the worse in the country.

That should be enough ingredients to mix together for a satisfying tale.

1 comment:

Andy Z said...

It's funny, I was reading a little bit about the Real Virginia Reed and apparently she was barely literate at the time, and the ambiguity in her journals and letters has led to a lot of the confusion about what Really Happened up there. So your book supposes that she was quite literate and lettered by age 14. Which is a kindness on your part.