Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Nickname Denier.

I've been talking about werewolves so much, I'm starting to say "werewolf" in an Elmer Fudd voice.  "Quiet...there's a wwwerewwwolf."

*****

I'm reaching that point in rewriting where I question effort versus quality.  That is, am I not a better writer because I don't put enough effort into it?

I have to remind myself that after the first draft, most improvements happen in incremental ways.  That I fix this, and then I fix that, then I polish this and make this more clear and  sharpen this up and so on...

It ain't done until it's done.

*****

I asked Linda how many "nicknames" she thinks I've given her in our marriage.  I thought she'd number them in the hundreds, if not the thousands.

She said, "Oh....ten?"

"Whatttt!!!!????"

I was completely insulted.  Her nicknames are constantly evolving and changing.  They just come out of my mouth.  Obviously, they go in one of Linda's ears and out the other.

So she felt a nickname was a more enduring endearment, not just a small evolution.

Still....I've decided that nicknames are wasted on her.

"Nicknamer denier" was her nickname this morning.

Not that she'll remember it...


No comments: