Thursday, June 6, 2013

Preparing for the end of the first draft.

Got a critique back from someone who is a horror writer.  It was mostly encouraging -- actually very encouraging -- and I've asked permission to reproduce it.  He thought Led to the Slaughter works well as a Young Adult novel, which I didn't expect, even if the main character is a 12 year old girl. 

Getting ready for my last week of writing the first draft.  I've decided to consolidate the various rescue efforts into one or two attempts, with the father as the narrator.  (He was involved in one of the efforts.)

Also trying to come up with a slambamm finish -- a final battle, a last stand.   I've stuck to the facts as much as possible, actually.  Most people probably wouldn't notice the changes in the timeline or events.  But for the book to have a satisfying conclusion, I need to have a point of climax, instead of the messy real life dribs and drabs.

I need to have lots of action, lots of people being eaten.  So, I'm going to quit referring to the historical facts for the last chapters and just make it up.


No comments: