Friday, May 31, 2013

Last of the Golden Age S.F. Writers.

Jack Vance has died.

If you go on Wiki and check "Golden Age" writers, they're all gone.  Vance was the last of them.

One of the best of them, in my opinion.  I love his writing -- especially his middle and late period.

 *****

Because of the new light fixtures, I was finally inspired to do some changes at the store that I've been thinking about.  I've been very careful about reorders this year, so a few spaces have begun to open up here and there.  Not so's anyone would notice.  Generally, turning a few books or games or toys face out more than fills the gaps.  But I was keeping track.

Sure enough, when I filled the gaps and moved things around, I opened up about 16 linear feet of shelving on the left front of the store, which I put boardgames on, facing the other side of the store that also has boardgames.   It opens up enough space to probably increase my game selection by a third or so.

Since I was able to move games out of the bookspace, which they had infiltrated, I will also have more space for books.  I also took some of the taller displaces down, which should spread the light around and give me line-sight to more parts of the store. 

Nothing was lost, that I can see.  Just a matter of consolidation.  Indeed, as often happens, consolidation is an improvement.

*****

I've started to deal with a few of the backstock issues which I've been ignoring.  When you're dealing with frontstock all the time, backstock takes a back seat...

I feel like I'm engaging in some of the details that --while not terribly important -- can add up over time.

*****

In two more weeks I'll be able to do a full restock, from top to bottom, without breaking my budget.

This is the best job I've ever done in inventory management, and the fact that I've managed to do it by not being there everyday is sort of interesting to me.

The danger probably wasn't that I'd order too little, but that I'd order too much.

Really, though, it isn't a matter of too much or two little little, but of carrying the "right" things.


No comments: