Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I'm liking Obama.

Despite appearances, I'm not really all that political. I think of myself as a pragmatic liberal; but I don't have a whole lot of faith in government's ability to get much done.

But I don't completely discount the possibility, either.

I was firmly in Obama's camp, I thought Palin was a disaster, but I kind of like McCain. But...it seemed to me that we needed big changes, and Obama was the best possibility of that.

Anyway, his speech last night was very impressive.

I don't want to fall into Obama idol worship. Just as I think it's silly to expect him to fix everything in a month, I think it's even more silly to declare him a success.

I'm going to take a wait and see attitude.

Yeah, I know he didn't write the speech on the back of an envelope, Lincoln like, but still -- isn't it nice to have a President who is eloquent? Just from a writerly standpoint, it's really refreshing.

Again, I'm not quite ready to fall into the 'great man' framework, Doris Kearns Goodwin notwithstanding.

I think he's pointed in the right direction. But there's still that little problem of only 58 Democratic senators.

Then again, Republicans, keep acting the way you're acting, and I think the voters will take care of that in 2010.

No comments: