Sunday, February 22, 2009

Eating the fat.

Buster seems to think I'm calling for a return to 1983.

I know 1983, I was here in 1983, and Buster....this isn't 1983.

I don't think we'll return to those bad old days for a number of reasons.

1.) In 1983, the national chains barely had a presence in Bend; a couple of anchors on the end of both malls, and that was pretty much it. Once these dinosaurs get to Bend, it's unlikely they'll leave. (Other than a few national BK.R's and local branch closures, the vast majority are here to stay.)

2.) The population is so much larger.

3.) We have become a regional hub. In health, especially.

4.) Rich people. I'm sure they're here, even if I'm never aware of them in my store (which says something right there.) I've talked to enough people who service these rich to believe they exist.

5.) The tourism and retirement industries are real, and much, much bigger than 1983. They may pay minimum wage, but at least they pay something.

It's just that I'm not a great believer in the 'trickle down' theory. I never bought the rich could pull the rest of Bend up. I believe they are more likely not to spend money, or to spend money elsewhere. (I get these people in the store from out of town all the time. The rich go elsewhere to spend silly money, the rich visit here to spend silly money.)

I'm sure that there will be some enclaves that will do well.

Anyway, I don't believe I'm exaggerating to believe that maybe half of Bend's business was due to the boom. But a good percentage of these people will make adjustments, and find ways to stick around.

I've always felt a 30% drop was the most likely outcome. The fact that we are already there from the peak, probably means I underestimated it. But I planned for a 50% drop.

Still, I doubt vacancies will get past even 10% or 20% at worse downtown -- a far cry from the 40 to 60% vacancies in 1983.

Bend was a pretty lean town even in the late 70's, and had very little to fall back on.

We're considerably fatter right now.

3 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

Of course we're fatter with debt too, but in a weird way that just represents money...people just seem to be able to manipulate all that....

Duncan McGeary said...

I noticed the lease sign is gone from the Weinman leather store, in the St. Claire building.

There always seems to be somebody waiting in the wings, downtown.

Anonymous said...

Dunc,

I moved this debate over to BB2, where it would be equal, as nobody would get moderated. First of all your 1983 wasn't mine. Tell me about how you lived in 1983 so I understand your perspective.

All along here I have said that when your neighbor is un-employed its a recession, when your un-employed its a depression. All is MORAL RELATIVISM in this racket.

BB2 dunc.

p.s. read the following, they're NOW paying people to cut up their credit-cards, ... its HERE!

AmEx Offers Some Holders $300 To Pay And Leave
CNNMoney.com - 1 hour ago
By Aparajita Saha-Bubna and Lauren Pollock American Express Co. (AXP) is offering a $300 incentive for customers to cancel their accounts as the card issuer and payments processor grapples with surging loan delinquencies and reduced card-member ...