Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Timeless books.

So I've ordered a third more new books than I currently have, all in one fell swoop. My UPS guy is going to hate me. On my way, I hope, to getting at least double my summer inventory by Christmas. See if there are still some legs in this trend.

After taking a month spending freeze, I feel liberated, almost excited to be trying something new. There is nothing more de-motivating than not being able to try things. Linda seems to be fine with the routine at the Bookmark, and you can't argue with the results. Her store is doing well.

But even in a slowdown, I feel like I have to have something to work with, something to come to work for every day.

Anyway, one of the things I've noticed is that many of the books I ordered could have been ordered 5 years ago, 10 years ago, and even further back. They are classic, timeless, literature.

There is something very reassuring about their solidity, and the response people have to them. In this world of constant change, they feel like an oasis somehow.

Part of my store is very pop-culturish. I'm probably as up on modern pop-culture as anyone my age (minus video games....and internet.....and music....oh, never mind.) I'm up on the pop-culture things I do, let us say.

So...the idea that you can carry product that doesn't depend on the latest and the greatest is somehow a stabilizing, steady, solid thing.

I like it.

No comments: