Monday, September 22, 2008

Flip....flip....flip.....flip.....flip....

I let Pat have a week off, and worked every day. Not like it was hard, but it does drain me of energy more than it used to. It reminded me of when I worked everyday for 7 years; and when the holiday's would come, all I'd want to do is crash at home.

Anyway, Linda is off visiting a sister in California, so I've had the house to myself for a few days.

We also just brought in the digital box for our T.V. Until now, we've always had just basic cable. We found out that we had to upgrade a little just for the ability to record (in fact, the digital box records). And I started looking at the menu, and realizing that I spend lots of time watching T.V., and I'm sick of missing stuff like True Blood and Dexter, and it would only cost 50 bucks more the get "THE WORKS."

This is probably old news to most of you, but....damn...there is a lot of crap on T.V.

So the combination of Linda being gone and me giving myself the permission to watch T.V. all day, that plus my inclination to Channel Flip, and what a disaster in the making.

I actually did sit down and watch an entire movie; but the rest of the time, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip,....

Went to bed feeling like My Life Is Wasted.

I've got to get a handle on this.

5 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

Hey Dunc, what do you think the comic book market will be like during the coming Great Depression II? The first Great Depression was the golden age of board games -- people wanted cheap entertainment. I think something cheap that can keep people occupied for long periods of time will be a winner.

Duncan McGeary said...

So far, comics are doing that well. There's been a nine month drop nationally.

Books on the other hand, seem to be more immune. Especially used books, but perhaps new books too.

At least, I'm headed in that direction.

Board games -- it will be interesting to see how they sell this Christmas. I slightly underestimated last year, but I also noticed that the chainstores were starting to bring in games like Settlers of Catan.

So I have to be careful.

I bought my store at the depths of the 80's depression in Bend, so I had nowhere to go but up. But it as a long hard slog.

This is the first recession since that I have felt I was affected more by macro than micro. That is, product has always been the deciding factor before now.

So...books. I have something to try, to play with, to work on.

Duncan McGeary said...

Comics aren't doing well, I meant to say. Though that could be a micro problem with comics themselves.

So much for that piece of common wisdom.

Books are proving to be much more resilient. At least so far. For instance, in almost every case I can remember, if I'm growing a product inventory level, sales go up, but the minute I quit buying sales tend to go down.

With books, over the last month and a half of more or less spending freeze, the sales stayed solid. Which is really encouraging, because I estimate I'm only a half to a third of the way toward the inventory level I want.

It's just a great argument for diversity. If you carry 8 or 10 lines, you can almost count on at least one of them out-performing. So you have a direction to pursue.

Better than feeling helpless and hopeless.

And my wife's store is doing fine. Perhaps because of the article in the Bulletin, as our employee Kent pointed out.

Anyway, it's going to be interesting....

dkgoodman said...

Instead of (or while) watching TV, you could always work on some fiction writing. ;)

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Books are proving to be much more resilient. At least so far."

Books are good cheap entertainment. For $16 or less (paperback) you can buy something that will keep you occupied for a couple of days. A much better deal than a movie ticket.

Your wife's used bookstore should do even better.