Monday, January 8, 2007

I've decided against carrying the Warhammer games. I spent the weekend before last agonizing over what to do. I'd pretty much come down to the idea of ordering a moderate amount to start, just to show my good intentions, and then slowly building up from there, taking a cue as to my pace by what actually sold. Going mostly forward, and filling in on the basics. I thought I could be very active in special orders.

When I went to work last Monday, it occurred to me that I should wait for the first special order, and then quickly order within the day. Wow them with my timeliness. I could do that for the first couple of orders, and bring in the beginning inventory at the same time.

One day went by, then two, then five. Crickets chirping. Newspaper wafting across the room. The day before yesterday, one of the Warhammer people told me that a contingent of GW players were planning to assemble a monthly internet order. Another (the same?) contingent of players have talked the local hobby shop (who carries no other gaming) into being their source.

Finally, yesterday, one of the two Warhammer players who had been trying to talk me into it, came in and said, "Don't....I'm taking a break from Warhammer...."

So there you have it....the customers have spoken. I think the ONLY way I was willing to invest so much time, money and space into a game was if there was a chance that I could become their 'Main Man.'

I immediately felt a great sense of relief, which only confirms to me that I have made the right decision. I don't think there are enough Warhammer players to be splitting both ends against the middle. Meanwhile, my store has been functioning great. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So, I'm going to up my orders on card games like Magic and Pokemon, up my orders on the miniature games like Star Wars, up my orders on role-playing games over the next couple of months, maybe order one big board game per order, and see what happens. I'm going to bring in a big order of dice and accessories. All the stuff I'm already carrying. I've seen a small boost in sales in all those areas already, and I just have to hope that the next wave of anything comes in, that they'll need to come to my store.

LATER: Got a call from the director of operations for Games Workshop, who had read my messages on the game forum I frequent, and he tried to reassure me that all my concerns would be addressed, that I would be able just to order the 'best sellers' , and small amounts, and free shipping.

So I asked him if the hobby shop was going to do it; or had opened an account. He said he didn't think so.

After I hung up, I decided to call the hobby shop, and they said, they had bought out Brad's inventory, and had already set up an account with GW, and had tables out for play and so on....

Back to square one. But based on what he said, it sounded like I could actually carry the game as a sideline for a moderate price. Wait and see how the other guys like doing it.

No comments: