Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Being a small business owner is a strange combination of being a big pessimist, but an even bigger optimist.

People come into the store and ask how I'm doing. I say, "We're doing great......it's got me worried."

I'm not really kidding. My wife calls me "Wiley Coyote", because I always think that if it just buy one more kit from ACME, I'll finally catch that Roadrunner. I'm so intent on chasing that illusive success, that I'll run right over that cliff without noticing.

BLINK, BLINK........BLINK,BLINK.
..
...
....
.....
......
.......
........
SLPATT!!!

When I had a five year stretch of doubling sales, I got just a little bit cocky. As my wife says,
"An arrogant mood struck you....." She's under strict instructions to let me know if I do that again. Because, in the end, while it's important how I handle my business, it is really the macro events, the recessions, the bubbles and fads, the level of competition, my landlords, my suppliers, who have the biggest impact on how I do.

I can't tell you the number of times I've approached that moment where I think I'm finally secure......and the roof caves in, the bottom falls out, and I'm left standing in the dust. The bomb goes off in my hands........

BLINK, BLINK............BLINK, BLINK.

No comments: