Sunday, January 7, 2007

I don't believe there is going to be sudden collapse in the retail environment downtown. Lots of change, yes. Challenges and retreats; surges and lulls. There was an article in the Bulletin about the Sunriver mall, (which is really more of a downtown), and it would be easy to draw some parallels. But I think downtown is at such a fever pitch, that it would take a complete disaster to bring it down. And if that happens, downtown occupancy rates will be the least of our worries.

Years ago I read an article on how malls can die. Let's say you have a stretch of 10 stores, all of which are just making it. The weakest store drops, and the loss of customers strains the surviving stores, and the next weakest store drops, which then creates even more strain on the next weakest store, etc. Once that process starts, it's almost impossible to reverse.

That's why malls get torn down and started over, or at the very least, get total makeovers.

I had a store in the Mountain View Mall from 1990 to 1997. When we first opened, the mall seemed to be prospering; but I was never really fooled. See, I remembered how, when I bought Pegasus in 1984 downtown, I wasn't open more than a month before the MtView Mall approached me and offered me a free year of rent. I was pretty overwhelmed with my new store, and turned them down. But you don't get offered a free year of rent if things are going well.

I don't think either the MtView Mall, or the Bend River Mall, ever really got to stage of being healthy. They kept doing 'deals' and 'gimmicks', which only came back to bite them. If a marginal store feels compelled to accept a free year of rent, and then has a balloon payment in the second and third years, it is only going to make it that much harder to survive.

I don't know how the string of buyers of the MtView Mall, (which happened at least twice that I know of), couldn't see that they were buying a mall that was held together with duct tape and baling wire, but eventually I believe the banks put their foot down and said, 'no more deals.' Which was then the end of the malls.

My little section of the mall began to empty out. Literally in the middle of the night. Out of 9 spots on my level, 3 or 4 were empty. The theatre began to show the worst films. K-Mart started to echo from the emptiness. It felt abandoned. Termites came boiling out onto the floor outside our store, and I was told that there was a very thin layer of concrete underlying the whole edifice. It was falling apart from the day it was built.

Linda started to pressure me to sell the store, even though it was still profitable. We needed the money because we'd already closed our Sisters and Redmond stores, and sports cards were continuing their steady, precipitous decline. I resisted, until finally I took it upon myself to start talking to other stores. I worked my way toward the center of the mall, and as I got closer to the core, the store owners seemed more and more resistent to my message of alarm. Finally hit the two stores at the central point. One said to me, "We're having our best year, ever. What's wrong with you?" And the other store said, "Why don't you just take care of your OWN business."

After muttering how I thought the two ends of the mall were suffering from gangrene, I retreated. I walked into our store and said to my wife: "You're right. These people don't have a clue about what's happening. Let's sell."

We were lucky, and managed to sell the store. I heard from the new owner that the new mall management was going to improve the looks of the mall. Their first step was to pull out all the landscaping in September. It started to snow and freeze, and the landscaping remained a churned desolate mess until spring. Realized that maybe the new landlords might have even less awareness of Bend than the last landlords. They put up a couple of facades at the entrances, and brought in a couple of lousy discounts stores (one of which, the above article on the death of malls specifically mentioned as one the signs of the end), but the malls fate was sealed, even if it took a few more years.

That's the thing. All these changes take years and years to happen.

Downtown Bend doesn't give off any of that feel. Yes, we are getting a lot of doubtful high-end business, yes, viable long-term businesses are leaving. But there still seem to be plenty of people waiting to take the spaces. At full rent -- indeed, rents that are too high. I haven't seen the kind of weakness I saw in the MtView Mall, and even if I did, I know that it takes many, many years to play out. What we are really talking about is a change of tone, not health.
I'm hoping for just enough weakness to give the landlords pause, so that when my lease comes due in a few years, they'll continue to be reasonable. If not, I'll try to see it as an opportunity to improve my business by an even better location, or a bigger space, or.....whatever it takes.

So far the changes downtown have pretty much been a wash for me. Good things and bad things, equaling out. I just have to be nimble.

5 comments:

Bender said...

Duncan
Nice blog, which I've followed for sometime and even prior to the Bulletin Article. You bring a different perspective and view of downtown which is refreshing -- Your view not necessarily downtown.

I wonder if your view of downtown would be changed if you were a new business paying $2.00 - $2.50 a foot? The people coming into downtown and filling the vacant spaces of prior businesses or new retail complexes are paying a significant $/foot. At $2+/foot you have to be selling a lot of "stuff" to make a go at it. Do you think that a new coffee shop in town can make it at $2.25-$2.50/foot? Why was Sunbird unable to sell? Was it the business type or the lease?

Don't take me wrong -- I'm a strong supporter of downtowns and especially downtown Bend but I'm wondering if rents are too high for the average joe or for that matter the average middle aged guy (and that includes me).

Again -- nice job on the blog!

Bender

Duncan McGeary said...

The rents are too high! But you know, what else is a downtown store owner going to say?

No, really. I do think the rents are not justified by the sales. It is a very subtle and insidious thing, that undermines the health of a store over a very long time. Unless you are very aware, you may not even realize it's happening.

I think the last round of rent increases for me were in the upper range of acceptable, and still are. In a few more years, that range may be higher. Nevertheless, I think we'd all be better off, including the landlords, if the rents were in the middle range.

To do that take some long-term thinking on the part of landlords.

Duncan McGeary said...

I think anything over 2.00 a foot is really pushing it. People come from somewhere else, where rents are even higher, they see the crowds of people at peak hours, (Think about it -- the vast majority of observations are taking place when the vast majority of observers are together}and they think 2.50 is cheap.

But, because they are new to Bend, or new to business, they don't really see that rents are relative to sales, not to rents other places. Bend does very well in December, July and August, and the rents are totally appropriate for those months. The problem is the other 9 months.

I'll say right now, that I don't think I have a very good handle on the affluent customer. My average item is probably between 5.00 and 10.00. That takes alot of customers. The jewelry store next door can make the same money with one or two sales. I've started bringing in expensive, to me, statues; deluxe hardcovers; litho's, etc. But I'm always a little surprised when someone actually springs for them -- which is probably not the best reaction.

Why didn't the Sunbird sell, or Gambit games for that matter. People aren't coming here to buy a business, they are opening stores in downtown Bend to fulfill a dream.

How realistic are they likely to be?

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

Who is Sunbird? I googled "sunbird sunriver oregon" and got the framing shop downtown Bend, by Wells Fargo. Is that it? (If so, that place was for sale FOREVER. I actually thought it sold, but it may well have been pulled from the market. Or it was bought, and was driven under... probably by rent increases [my guess])

I agree, I think rents are too high, and landlords are trying to maximize profits in the short term. But I think what will happen downtown is akin to your description of Barnes & Noble vs Independents: The diversity of downtown will go away, and total sales will actually start to go down. It's like B&N scaling back & only selling only the Top 50 NYT bestsellers... their volume would get killed. It's the Edge Economy that makes things interesting. It's B&N's low-volume sellers that make the place interesting... it's The Long Tail effect. Same for downtown: Hollow out the diversity of downtown Bend by raising lease rates to an unsustainable level, and you will ultimately see sales volumes fall, and have no doubts: Sales Pay The Rent.

This has happened at Park City, Utah. The Olympics manufactured a boom in retail and retail lease rates that crushed everything else out of existence. Predictably things leased like hell for awhile... and from what I've seen, have since crashed catastrophically. Park City is a ghost town now. There's absolutely no reason to go to Park City, unless you want tee-shirts and caramel corn. No more "Long tail" edge case stores to make it interesting as a place to visit. Same as Bend, I'm sure it's got a few good months each year, but the unsustainable expectations set by the Olympics have crashed & burned, and now it seems the place may never recover. I was there in the Fall, and it looked like 90+% vacancy rates.

Duncan McGeary said...

It looks like the old Finder's Keepers location is going to be another jewelry store.

That's 4 jewelry stores, 3 art galleries, 5 dress shops, 5 decor shops, within a block of me. Not counting anything on Wall.

I think this downtown is getting too classy for the likes of me!