Friday, December 20, 2019

It ain't easy for anyone.

When I first started writing again, in 2013 or so, there were rabid proponents of indie publishing and equally rabid proponents of traditional publishing. That seems to have faded a bit--at least, from what I can see.

Partly this is because I'm pretty sure most writers have figured out that it doesn't make sense to choose one side--but to see what options are available.

I think the traditional publishers have decided that the best way to deal with ebooks is to basically ignore them. They've pushed the prices pretty high and that has hurt sales. I think this was totally on purpose.

Meanwhile, the proponents of indie publishing have quieted down because it's become harder and harder to make any headway self-publishing. Tricks that used to work have ceased working either because Amazon closed loopholes or because they were buried under the avalanche of new titles.

In other words, it ain't easy for anyone.

From the start, I've tried to keep an open mind. My first reaction to self-publishing came from my earlier career when it was called "vanity press." However, I listened when it was explained how the current market works. It made sense, and it ignited my urge to write again. (No more waiting months and years to hear back from publishers--that was the biggest plus.)

I can see some advantages to both sides. In the end, I chose a path more or less down the middle. Most of my books are published by publishers who aren't owned by the Big Five. (Five mega-conglomerates that have scooped up most of the major traditional publishers and imprints.) This has worked out well for me. They can do promotion that I can't. Just signing up for BookBub has been the biggest impact on my sales--and I don't know if that would have happened on my own.

I've been in a weird spot from the beginning because:

1.) I own a bookstore and therefore Amazon is a big competitor of mine.

2.) Most of my sales have been ebooks, made easy by Amazon.

3.) I personally don't read ebooks. Just more comfortable laying down and reading a physical copy, though I could see that perhaps changing in the future. Open mind, and all.

4.) Big publishers are arrogant, but lend credibility to a writer.

5.) Small publishers have made real inroads into credibility. Plus--bookstores, if they wanted, could actually buy my books from Ingrams--if at a lower discount.

I'm trying to keep all the pluses and minuses in my head without coming down too strongly on any conclusions.Obviously, these are big changes that are still shaking out.

2 comments:

Dave Cline said...

An interesting article on this topic:
https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/12/23/20991659/ebook-amazon-kindle-ereader-department-of-justice-publishing-lawsuit-apple-ipad

And a controversial essay:
https://impassioned966204767.wordpress.com/2019/12/12/is-the-novel-dead/

Here's a curious take on flash entertainment - a recording you can read-along to.
https://davecline.wordpress.com/2019/12/27/apocalyptic-scenario-1-a/

Duncan McGeary said...

The first article you mention is what sparked my blogpost.

The second one, linked in your post, is a bit of elitest smarmary. Throwing out the baby with the bath water.

My theory is: Mainstream publishing was always offered a lot of junk. As a thought experiment, let's say they accepted 1% of all offerings. What they accepted was always prone to "luck, timing, and who you know."

Obviously, that 1% was sometimes wrong.

Let's say that they passed on another 9% of the books that were equally plausible good books.

That still leaves 90% junk, which is Sturgeon's Law.

So what's happening with self-publishing is that the other 9% of good books are being published--maybe not as good as they would have been under the guidance of mainstream editors, but pretty good. And I'm going to say that at least 10% of those now published books (or 1% of the total) are at least as good as the 1% the mainstream chose--and often much better.

So if being selected by mainstream publishers (or even worse, agents) is so utterly haphazard, then fuck them.

The readers will have to figure out ways to find that other 1 to 9% of worthy books, but so be it. Mainstream always did a lousy job, and if anything, they're worse now.

The whole claim that everything is imitative? As if mainstream publishing wasn't at least, if not more, responsible. Indeed, truly original stuff probably has more of a chance of breaking through by self-publishing.

Again, it will require some method of finding those good books, and I don't think we're there yet.

But mainstream publishers? Cry me a river--and jump in a lake.