Saturday, April 27, 2019

Too damn many characters.

The rewrite of "Takeover" is more than a little messed up.

Because I have established characters from "Deadfall Ridge" and I'm trying to incorporate them with the characters in "Takeover," I've ended up with too damn many characters.

I have a general idea of what I'm doing, but I keep throwing ideas at the computer, many of which don't match. I'm going to have to do some ruthless culling. On the other hand, I'm slowly feeling my way to the right narrative, so it isn't all a loss.

One problem which I didn't realize I was having is that I've somehow lost Dropbox on my new computer--and maybe my previous computer, I'm not sure--so I have different versions on different computers. I'm calling my tech wizard to come in and help us--but that's probably a week away. Meanwhile, I trying to figure out workarounds, like downloading onto my blog and then uploading to the other computer.

I'm more and more inclined to believe that I need to just write brand new chapters, and not even refer to the earlier version until I've got all the characters assembled in one spot. The many different narrations can't be got rid off, so all I can do is try to smooth the entry. It may still prove to be too distracting, but at least this version will be better.

This does remind me of the "Deadfall Ridge" rewrite in that each version didn't quite satisfy me until I reached that last version. I also feel a real sense of accomplishment that I waited until I had it right. So I'm trying to do that with "Takeover" as well.

No comments: