Tuesday, April 23, 2019

I'm ready to learn my P's and Q's about classical music.

Still not writing.

I'm getting ideas, though. I've figured out a new beginning to "Takeover" and I've figured out how to proceed on the scene that had me blocked in "Ruby Red and the Robots."

But sitting down and actually writing...for some reason, I'm procrastinating.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a permanent condition. For one thing, I've learned that if I'm not writing I'm pretty useless. I've re-upped my lease at the store for at least the next four years mostly because I can and because I can't stand the idea of not having a place to go and be engaged.

On my own, I do nothing.

It's not all bad. I've set out on a project to learn classical music. I did this once with art when I was embarrassed after a trip to the MOMA and the Met in N.Y. when I realized how little I knew. Just sat down and started reading tomes on the history of art. Ended up loving the whole process.

So I'm ready to learn my P's and Q's about classical music. At least, the basics.

I go to YouTube and plug in the the Best 50 Classical pieces or something like that, and then listen to each one, find out who the composer is, go and read the Wiki entry on said composer. I've got Beethoven and Bach down solid, I'm pretty sure I could recognize any Wagner.

Beethoven and Bach are still my favorites after listening to a wide variety of composers over the last few days. Mozart doesn't quite have the same power over me.

I was under the misapprehension that all these classical pieces were long--but I'm finding a whole bunch that are under 10 minutes. It's also amazing how many of these pieces I recognize, at least aurally.

They are also very soothing and pleasing to listen to. I don't know if this is a factor of age, but I'm really getting into it.

No comments: