Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I may not like re-writing, but I like having done it.

Re-writing has all the motivational problems of real work.

Believe me, I'm as tired of doing it as you are of hearing about it.

Thing is, it absolutely improves the book.  By leaps and bounds.  In fact, without re-writing, my books would be completely amateurish.

I have to force myself to do it.  I managed to do three chapters yesterday.  I do a chapter, then take a long break, do another chapter then take a long break, and so on.  Sometimes I can do only half a chapter before my eyes blur and my concentration wanders and I walk away.  Giving myself breaks makes it a tolerable process.

If I'm lucky, the plot is working and the focus is on the words -- that seems to be true with this book.  If I'm unlucky, there are problems with the plot.  That's what's going on with Faerylander, Sometimes a Dragon, and Spell Realm and why they are still waiting to be published.

But if it is just the writing that is a problem, I just need to work at making it better.  Make it "read" like a real book.  Make sure there aren't any words or sentences that pull the reader out of the story.

So I can do about half the necessary improvement on my own.  But I need help.  Thankfully I have Lara to point out some obvious things, and to improve the writing throughout the book.

I probably still need help.  Sometimes I get it -- as with Led to the Slaughter where Bren and Linda put in a lot of work.

Sometimes I don't need the help as much, such as the Vampire Evolution Trilogy.

We'll see what happens with The Dead Spend No Gold: Sasquatch and the Gold Rush.

What I'm doing is taking a complete story with lots of sloppy writing, and I'm fleshing it out and making the sentences flow better.  I'll be done with this process in a couple of weeks, then I'll give it Lara and forget it for a month or more.

When I get it back, I'll probably know by then if it requires another person.  Then I'll have to beg, or bribe, or con someone into doing a pass.

Hopefully not.  Hopefully I can make the recommended changes, do some more re-writing, then probably give it to Lara a second time, and then do one more pass when I get it back.

I've been pretty good about not releasing a book until I think it's ready.  So I want to continue that.

It reminds me of the old saying about writing;  that you don't like doing it as much as you like having done it.

I don't like re-writing, but I like having done it.  


No comments: