Saturday, July 8, 2023

Edison was a bastard.

The more books I read about 1800s and early 1900s business, the more I realize that business fuckery has always been with us. The amount of copyright and patent fights and theft and lawsuits makes it all very confusing. The good guys (the real inventors and innovators) didn't usually end up winning. I mean, Edison was one hell of a bastard, but he was also typical.

It's a jungle, I tell you. 

The longer I'm in small business, the gladder I am that I am an owner and also that I am small. We are finally making good money, by luck, and experience, and longevity. I don't know that we'd have done any better by being bigger. Maybe, but it wouldn't have been worth it. 

Luck because downtown turned around and became popular again and our landlord stood by us.

Experience enough to change with the times. 

Longevity by pure stubbornness. 

 

Speaking of which: Summer Fest.

These events don't kill us anymore. We're doing about average for a Saturday so far, but the number of transactions is a little scary. Pretty much a ring-up every five minutes, which doesn't leave a lot of time to do anything but stand at the counter.

Thing is, our store is already so packed that it almost becomes a negative. Too many people in the store means that everyone avoids coming up to the counter, unless one of them breaks the logjam and then it becomes a cascade. I mean, it can almost become too much.

This is going to sound strange to say, but I think we maybe shouldn't be promoting downtown anymore. Let nature take its course, let us do our business without interference. Maybe I think this because we're doing well and maybe there are stores not doing so well, but still... 

It's not my battle anymore. I think the events are unnecessary or should be done without closing streets, but I'm not fighting it anymore. People are having fun, but I'm pretty sure the same things could be accomplished without all the interruption. Oh, well.


No comments: